Charles A. “Ashley” Wilson, 98, Rockford, formerly of Woodstock, died Monday, June 10, 2013, at home.
He was born Aug.11, 1914, in Newell, Iowa, to Edmond and Emma (McConnell) Wilson. He grew up and was raised on several farms in the Newell area. He graduated from Iowa State University in 1939 and later received a master’s degree in dairy science from the University of Illinois – Urbana. He served in the U.S. Army prior to and during World War II.
On March 23, 1943, he married Isabelle Thomson in Ottawa.
He worked for the Borden Dairy Co. in Chicago for many years and lived in Franklin Park with his family until they moved to Woodstock in 1965. After the Woodstock Borden plant closed, he worked for Dean Foods in Chemung until his retirement. After spending more than 40 years in Woodstock, he and his family moved to Rockford in 2005.
He enjoyed woodworking, carving duck decoys, doing home improvement projects for his family and was a devoted member of First United Methodist Church, Woodstock. He also was a member of Woodstock VFW Post 5040.
Survivors include four sons, Eric (Sue) Wilson, Edgerton, Wis., John (Pam) Wilson, Doug (Diane) Wilson, Rockford, and Craig (Sue) Wilson, Allison Park, Pa.; four daughters, Margaret Wilson, Pam Wilson, Kathy (Jim) O’Brien and Barbara Wilson, all of Rockford; nine grandchildren, Chris Wilson, Mike Wilson, Jack (Jen) O’Brien, Valerie O’Brien, Laura Wilson, Elena Wilson, Andy Wilson, Robin Wilson and Evan Wilson; and many nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his wife in 2008; his parents; and 10 siblings, Genevieve Helland, Lucille Brown, Marion Thom, Emery Wilson, Gene Wilson, John Wilson, Frank Wilson, Janet Weber, Leonard Wilson and George Wilson.
Visitation and the funeral were June 13 at First United Methodist Church, Woodstock.
Burial was at McHenry County Memorial Park, Woodstock, with Military Honors provided by the Woodstock VFW Post 5040 Honor Squad.
Memorials can be sent to First United Methodist Church, 201 W. South St., Woodstock, IL 60098.
Arrangements were made by Schneider-Leucht-Merwin & Cooney Funeral Home, Woodstock.