A fire in a commercial building on Lake Avenue cause $100,000 in damage, authorities said.
Firefighters from the Woodstock Fire/Rescue District were dispatched to a structure fire at 1036 Lake Ave. around 12:27 a.m. on Aug. 23 according to a press release issued by the department.
The small commercial building is located next to Niko’s Red Mill Tavern and utilized by Niko’s for storage, according to WFRD.
Crews from WFRD spent about 20 minutes extinguishing the blaze and an additional two hours extinguishing and looking for additional hidden fires while conducting an investigation. WFRD requested assistance via the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System (MABAS) to provide coverage to the community while its personnel were on scene.
“A possible cause could have been from rags and rollers used for wood staining that caught fire and extended to a nearby propane tank,” WFRD Captain Brendan Parker said.
While nothing appeared to be suspicious, the investigation is still ongoing. Though there was work being done inside the building the day before, there did not appear to be any indication that anyone was inside the building at the time of the fire, according to Parker. No injuries were reported. Initial damage is estimated to be $100,000.