The Woodstock Avalanche welcomed summer by hosting a 97-game baseball tournament June 9 to 11 – the hottest weekend so far this summer. Temperatures topped 90 degrees.
“On a hot, dry, windy weekend we had 52 teams play 97 games in two days. In addition to the games, there was a home-run derby with 150 participants Friday at Emricson (Park),” said Tim Oman, Avalanche board president.
The Avalanche had seven teams compete in 2017 Woodstock Summer Slam, one at each level – 9U to 15U. Five of the seven teams – 9U, 12U, 13U, 14U and 15U – made the playoffs at their respective levels.
Tournament games were played at Merryman Fields, Woodstock North High School, Marian Central Catholic High School, Emricson Park and Roskie Field at Bates Park.
“We really appreciate all of the hard work by the WNHS Boosters and the City of Woodstock’s Public Works Department for their work on ground prep. This tournament could certainly not take place without the many volunteers that support it,” Oman said.
In 2016, Avalanche won the 14U division. All of the games this season were very competitive, Oman said.
Avalanche is a community-based, competitive travel baseball organization centered in Woodstock for kids up to age 15. More than 90 percent of participants come from Woodstock, and some come from surrounding cities that don’t have travel programs.
“We’re a full-time competitive travel program designed as a feeder program for District 200 and surrounding schools,” Oman said.
The program recently saw its first wave of players reach freshman and sophomore years in high school. Four players from Avalanche made varsity baseball at their high schools as freshmen and sophomores.
Avalanche will host tryouts starting in mid-July. For information, visit woodstockavalanche.atomicleagues.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Woodstock Summer Slam results
- Avalanche 9U lost to the Woodstock Elite 18-17 and the Barrington Black 25-8 June 10 and the McHenry County Outlaws 22-7 June 11. The Lake in the Hills Thunder won the championship game 14-6 over the McHenry Outlaws.
- Avalanche 10U lost to the Northwest Travelers 12-11 and the Storm Chasers 14-4 June 10 and to the Clarendon Hills Cardinals Red 16-6 June 11. The Storm Chasers won the championship game 15-0 over the Kaneland Knights.
- Avalanche 11U lost to the Geneva Vikings 13-1 and the Jr. Lions 13-6 June 10 and to the Lisle Wolves 13-11 June 11. The Warren Blue Devils defeated the Geneva Vikings 8-7 for the championship.
- Avalanche 12U defeated the Tri-County Tribe 10-8 and Lake County Lightning White 8-7 June 10. On June 11, 12U lost to the Lake County Sidewinders 14-2 and the Rockford Machine 11-6. The Rockford Machine won the championship game 6-5 over the Lake County Sidewinders.
- Avalanche 13U won three games and lost one, defeating the Storm Chasers 13-1 and the Glen Ellyn Rebels Red 16-2 June 10 and the Bloomingdale Bulldogs Red 13-3 before losing to Next Level 10-5 June 11. Next Level won the championship game 1-0 over the Glen Ellyn Rebels Red.
- Avalanche 14U defeated the McHenry Jr. Warriors 13-3 and the Schaumburg Flyers 14-2 June 10 and lost to the Harvard Hornets 11-6 and the Sycamore Titans 18-3 June 11. The Sycamore Titans won the championship game 13-8 over the Harvard Hornets.
- Avalanche 15U defeated the Rockford Power Road 7-3 and lost to the Streator Express 8-7 June 10, then won 8-0 over the Storm Chasers before losing 7-3 to the Freeport Stix in a semifinal game. The Streator Express won the championship game 7-1 over the Freeport Stix.